Tycho Speaks Wisdom

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

There's been a thing going down on Story Games for a week or so. People are talking about the role of criticism, and the level of polish and completeness in published games (or the lack thereof). It's mostly drama, though some good has come out of it. Anyway, Tycho recently said something on Penny Arcade that I think is apropos, and rather neatly sums up my feelings, so I'm reposting it here.
The trouble, which I have saved for the end, was significant: the game did not actually work. [...] And yet, here I am years later, trying to explain its virtues. I place a premium on those noble failures, mutant games that schluck their way out of thick algae to gasp and die on the beach. ChromeHounds was another game that was practically impenetrable, but it is easily the boldest, most uncompromising game on the platform. I think our people are sort of obsessed with polish, to be honest. I'm not a masochist by any means, and it is my preference to play games that function, but I feel very strongly that I need to be receptive - both for myself, and in your service. We can't assume that every incredible, epochal idea is matched by mechanically incredible execution.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home