What Game Was That? Redux.

Monday, October 10, 2005

A couple of posts down, I talked about how our play of Godlike intersected with the actual written rules. I knew there was something I meant to link to regarding that post, but until today, it slipped my mind.

Anyway, Vincent has a killer explanation of this whole concept, with animated GIFs and everything. Check it out: Rules and System, Periodic Refresher.

As usual, he says it all in a very clear and friendly way.

UPDATE: Vincent continues to be mighty in this thread at The Forge. Here's the relevant bit:

...Anybody can create some isolated resolution mechanics, slap on a setting, and say "here you go! You figure out what to do with them! If you have fun with them, good job, it's not my fault!" That's a pretty crap game.

As far as I'm concerned, a well-designed game forces me and my group to play in a way that a) is fun, but b) we wouldn't have come up with on our own. It makes us adopt a whole new set of general procedures, a whole new way to play.

Otherwise - look, the kind of fun my group comes up with itself? We can have that kind of fun whenever we want. We don't need any new game to teach us that.


Hell yeah.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home